Thursday, May 11, 2006

WAHM Bloggers QOTW

This week's assignment from the ladies at Work-At-Home-Mom Bloggers is to answer the question: How do you stay fit mentally and physically?

Physical fitness has never been a problem for me. I'm in perfect shape. Unfortunately, that shape is 'round'. Being a work-at-home-mom means that money and me-time are luxuries I'm not going to enjoy for the next few years. Therefore, a gym membership is definitely out of the question. I do own a large, heavy treadmill. The only exercise I've ever gotten on that thing, though, was from periodically moving it around the house. I'm hoping my arteries will hold out for another two years. At that time, Trouble will be in Junior Kindergarten. This will mean that the dog and I can go for walks at a speed somewhat higher than half a metre per hour, which is as quick as we can go right now with Trouble thoroughly investigating every weed and rock and candybar wrapper along the way.

Luckily, mental fitness is easier (and cheaper) to come by. Being the freak of nature that I am, I enjoy a good ('good', not 'difficult') logic puzzle now and again. Another way I like to stretch my brain a little is with a game of Tile Rummy (or Rummy-O or Rummy Squares - I've never seen a game with so many names). Teaching an old dog new tricks is a great way to exercise the ol' cranial muscle, so I learn as much as I can about websites, blogs and the internet in general whenever the opportunity arises. Writing in my blog really is a great form of intellectual stimulation. It's also an exercise in building patience, as my cursor struggles to keep pace with my typing and my screen refreshes for no apparent reason, leading me to believe that Blogger is going down yet again, meaning my entire post will soon be lost if I don't save it soon. Hang on a sec ... I'll be right back ...

Now, where was I? Writing - right! Did you know that I've always wanted to be a writer? For better or for worse, life got in the way of that little dream, so it looks like blogging is as close as I'm going to get. Unless someone reads this blog and likes my style enough to offer me a gig, in which case my e-mail link is in the left-hand menu (*wink*). The experts will tell you to write what you know. I know sarcasm and self-deprecating humour, which, thankfully, appear to work well in a blog. How does that manifest itself into mental fitness? Let's just say that my goals are more in line with 'week-end warrior' rather than 'decathelete'.

There you have it, folks. BikerMomma's secret guide to everlasting beauty and a rapier-sharp mind. Not buying it? How about 'Body by McDonald's' and 'enough brains not to walk into things'?

Technorati Tags: ; ; ;

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Vicky you are too funny. I've always wanted to be a write too. Like you I think blogging is as close as I'm gonna get.I have a treadmill too that is sitting behind me. I haven't used it in well over 2 months. That's b/c I got tried of it and decided to do Tae bo instead. Keep these great post a coming.