Thursday, March 23, 2006

Sponge On The Brain

I admit it. I'm a SpongeBob-aholic. Yes, it's a mildly amusing show. It has a few laugh out loud moments. But this is getting rediculous.

My children (you remember Trouble and Mini-Me, don't you?) just adore The Sponge. I had bought, a very long time ago, the Christmas DVD. We watch this DVD every day, sometimes several times a day, regardless of the season. Then, around the dinner hour when SpongeBob makes his daily appearance on TV, we watch it again ... and again ... and again ... (thanks to the magic of satellite TV and the various time zones).

My love affair with SpongeBob et al is beginning to wear thin, though. This insidious sponge is starting to affect my sleep patterns. You know how, sometimes, you'll wake up in the middle of the night with a song running 'round in your head that just won't go away? Usually, it's an old Beatles' tune, or some obscure '80s hit from a one-hit-wonder the world has long since forgotten. Sadly, those days are gone for me. I now wake up with SpongeBob's "Striped Sweater" song permeating my subconscious.

"The best time to wear a striped sweater,
is all the tiiiiiiime...
One with a collar, turtle neck.
That's the kiiiiiind..."

Groan! Quick, turn on the TV. Even that annoying, and somewhat disturbing, commercial jingle about the bank's "Hand In My Pocket" would be preferable to this.

If I'm especially unlucky, it'll be the Christmas tune that's invaded my sleep-deprived brain.

"It's shaping up to be a wonderful holiday,
not your normal, av-er-age every day."
"Sounds like someone felled my old coral tree.
SpongeBob, Patrick, why'd you do this to me?"
"This Christmas feels like
the very first Christmas to meeeeee....."

Oh, God, please, make it STOP!

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there's any relief in sight. The kids are addicted. So am I, for that matter. Inane musical score aside, he's a funny little guy. Therefore, until the kiddies outgrow the Sponge and his antics, it wouldn't appear that a SpongeBob Intervention is forthcoming. Guess I'll just have to grin and bear it.

"The Krusty Krab Pizza,
is the pizza,
for you and me.
The Krusty Krab Pizza,
is the pizza,
abslutive-a-ly!"

(*author slinks off to sob quietly in a large glass of chocolate milk*)

No comments: