Wednesday, March 11, 2009

My TKD Is Like A Bad Pun Or Dysfunctional Goat

A guy walks into his psychiatrist's office.

"Doc," he says. "I've been having this strange recurring dream. First, I'm a teepee. Then, I'm a wigwam. Then a teepee. Then a wigwam. What does this mean??"

"That's easy," says the psychiatrist. "You're too tense." Get it? Two tents? What...no rimshot?

Anyhow, this is apparently one of my issues when sparring in taekwondo. I'm too tense. It's my bad fortune to have the natural reaction of bracing myself for impact when I see someone's foot headed in my general direction. The result is that I'm not loose enough to react in time to counter the attack and gain a point or two in the process. My Master likens this to the fainting goat syndrome:


As unflattering as that comparison is, I need to accept his evaluation and conquer this particular weakness...preferably before my very first tournament in a week-and-a-half's time.

So, I'll hit the dojang tonight with that video playing in my mind, to remind me to keep things loose, fluid, constantly moving. And there we have the next marker on my martial arts journey ... the demise of the goat-lady.

No comments: